Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Obama the Mormon

As I was standing in line at the elementary school waiting to vote, a little boy walked by and said in a cocky tone, "You know, everyone is voting for Barak Obama just because he's mormon."  I laughed so hard.  I just hope he didn't hear that from his parents. :)

Can you believe the election is over???  I am extremely disappointed that Mitt didn't win, to say the least.  I am an Economics major and certainly a conservative, and I was hoping so desperately for this candidate to make it into office for so many reasons.  I know a lot of good people who are Obama supporters and democrats (even mormon democrats!) and we must agree to disagree on how we should go about realizing our goals of improving our country.  I don't like to get into big political discussions because people usually get offended and angry that the other party doesn't see it their way, and in my opinion very few of us actually know what we are talking about anyway.  Some of us get the big picture, but most of us don't really know the details.  Besides, if these were easy problems to solve, they would have solved them already, right?

And then there is the constant demand for change.  Everyone demands it but no one really wants it.  Why?  Because change means sacrifice.  Someone has to sacrifice something for someone else to have something better.  Nothing is free.  No service, no object, not one thing.  Someone has to give up something for there to be change and there are so VERY few of us who are willing to give up the comforts we enjoy, whether we worked for them or were given those comforts by someone else.  Change is painful for somebody, no matter how you slice it.

And for that reason, a small part of me is glad that Mitt didn't win.  He is a good man and would inevitably be looked at as a representative of our faith.  Since no president I'm aware of has made any big changes without being hated by someone, I am grateful people won't be blaming it on our religion or beliefs.  And yet, I think it would have been worth it if we could make some positive changes.  So, for now, let Obama make the changes, let half the population be angry with him, and we'll see a Republican president in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment